The Official RONR Q & A Forums

C&B Revision

Guest Ada

My organization is working on a revision (a complete rewrite) of our C&B.  Our current Constitution states that “ Former National officers are lifetime members of the executive committee, with vote.”  Several members of the Revision Committee wanted to remove that statement  from the revised C&B but were told by the Committee Chair that could only be done by amendment  when the Revision was brought before the assembly for a vote. 
Is that correct?

On 1/10/2024 at 11:26 PM, Guest Ada said:

My organization is working on a revision (a complete rewrite) of our C&B.  Our current Constitution states that “ Former National officers are lifetime members of the executive committee, with vote.”  Several members of the Revision Committee wanted to remove that statement  from the revised C&B but were told by the Committee Chair that could only be done by amendment  when the Revision was brought before the assembly for a vote. 
Is that correct?

I’m not sure I understand the question, but if you were asking what I think you are, the provision you referred to can be removed either through an ordinary amendment to the bylaws or by a complete revision.  Simply do not include the provision in the revision if you want it removed. There is no need to include the provision in the proposed revised bylaws and then remove it with an amendment if that is what you are asking.  The committee chair is not correct if the rules in RONR are applicable. 

You might try restating your question so that we can be sure we understand it correctly.

On 1/11/2024 at 1:42 AM, Richard Brown said:

I’m not sure I understand the question, but if you were asking what I think you are, the provision you referred to can be removed either through an ordinary amendment to the bylaws or by a complete revision.  Simply do not include the provision in the revision if you want it removed. There is no need to include the provision in the proposed revised bylaws and then remove it with an amendment if that is what you are asking.  The committee chair is not correct if the rules in RONR are applicable. 

You might try restating your question so that we can be sure we understand it.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:26 AM, Guest Ada said:

Several members of the Revision Committee wanted to remove that statement  from the revised C&B but were told by the Committee Chair that could only be done by amendment  when the Revision was brought before the assembly for a vote. 

Is there anything relevant in any governing rules? Alternatively, there may be something in statute about this, depending on the nature of the organization. I'd start by asking the committee chair why and seeing what gets cited.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:26 AM, Guest Ada said:

Is that correct?

I'm not sure what you mean.  If the revision is still under development, deleting that provision could be done before bringing the revision to the general assembly.  If it's completed and tied up in nice ribbons already, that provision can be deleted by an amendment offered while the revision is pending before the assembly. 

Either way would work.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.