The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Effect of Primary memership

Jay M

our constitution  says : Disqualification of Membership Rights: Demonstrated activities against the purposes of the corporation as defined in Article I shall constitute grounds for disqualification from membership. This will be determined by a vote of two‐thirds (2/3) of the total membership of the Board of Trustees.

My question if our board of trustess  remove a member from memrship by 2/3 majority of vote and  If that member happens to be a memeber of board pf trustees does he/she loses his/her trustee postion too ?

On 1/18/2024 at 2:45 AM, Joshua Katz said:

Depends. Do your bylaws condition board membership on being a member of the organization?

Yes this is the clause: The number of trustees shall be sixteen (16), all of whom shall be members with voting rights of the corporation. The trustees shall be elected by the members at the annual meeting of the members

Well, that strikes me as a bit ambiguous. Either it means (more likely) that you must be a member of the corporation to become a board member, or it means if you are a trustee, you automatically have voting rights in the corporation. As a parliamentary matter, your organization would need to decide by a point of order being raised (such as challenging their board membership), a ruling, and an appeal. However, as this is a corporation, there may also be legal implications leaving the organization not entirely free to make that decision. 

It seems to me that, either way, a person affirmatively disqualified from membership in the corporation would not be able to serve as a board member, so the above ambiguity may not be material in any event.

On 1/18/2024 at 9:25 AM, Jay M said:

Yes this is the clause: The number of trustees shall be sixteen (16), all of whom shall be members with voting rights of the corporation. The trustees shall be elected by the members at the annual meeting of the members

In my view, under this clause, a person who is removed as a member of the corporation would also lose their position as a trustee.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.