The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hierarchy of Governing Documents

Tomm

Can someone please clarify the terms used in the hierarchy of governing documents?

RONRIB states:

1. Law

2 Corporate charter

3. Bylaws or Constitution

4 Rules of Order

-Special rules of order

- Parliamentary authority

5. Standing rules

6. Custom

C. Alan Jennings book (4th Ed. pg. 28) has a tie position for both special rules of order and standing rules and places RONR just above Custom?

Question: I'm confused about where the actual RONR falls into place? Are the "4 Rules of Order" simply intended to be a generic "heading" covering Special rules of order and parliamentary authority?

And why is Parliamentary authority above Standing rules, when Standing rules are handled in the same manner as special rules of order (i.e. separate heading in same book as bylaws?)

HELP!

On 2/3/2024 at 10:47 PM, Tomm said:

RONRIB states:

1. Law

2 Corporate charter

3. Bylaws or Constitution

4 Rules of Order

-Special rules of order

- Parliamentary authority

5. Standing rules

6. Custom

C. Alan Jennings book (4th Ed. pg. 28) has a tie position for both special rules of order and standing rules and places RONR just above Custom?

I think this is really a distinction without a difference, because standing rules, by their nature will not conflict with the parliamentary authority. So whether they're placed above or below RONR will not make any practical difference.

With that said, strictly speaking, the order in RONR is correct.

Question: I'm confused about where the actual RONR falls into place? Are the "4 Rules of Order" simply intended to be a generic "heading" covering Special rules of order and parliamentary authority?

Yes, that's correct. "Rules of Order" is a general category which includes both special rules of order and the parliamentary authority. Special rules of order take precedence over the parliamentary authority.

And why is Parliamentary authority above Standing rules, when Standing rules are handled in the same manner as special rules of order (i.e. separate heading in same book as bylaws?)

Rules of order and standing rules deal with different subject matters and, by their nature, will not come into conflict. As a result, I ultimately do not think it makes any practical difference whether the standing rules or parliamentary authority is considered to be higher in precedence.

I also would note that I am not certain it is entirely correct to say that standing rules "are handled in the same manner as special rules of order." The requirements for adopting a special rule of order are higher than for adopting a standing rule.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 2/3/2024 at 11:47 PM, Tomm said:

This strikes me as irrelevant. The reason these documents are put in the same book (in some organizations) but not the parliamentary authority is that the parliamentary authority is already a book, and is very long. I think this is unrelated to the hierarchy of rules. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.