The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chairperson presenting a motion

Guest Stephen Day

On 2/4/2024 at 3:18 PM, Guest Stephen Day said:

Can the chairperson of a committee or council propose a motion that, if seconded, would require a vote by eligible members?  

Yes, but more information would be helpful.  For example, if the rules in RONR apply, ordinarily, the presiding officer of an assembly does not make motions or speak in debate or vote by voice vote but there are some exceptions. Two of those exceptions are for the chair of a committee or a small board of no more than about a dozen members.  In those cases, the chair can make motions, participate in debate and vote just like everyone else.   For a more precise answer, we need more information as to the nature and size of this "committee" or "council".

Guest Chair presenting motion

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am the chairperson of a parish pastoral council  with 9 lay (voting) members, 4 clergy, and two ex-officio members.  I would like to present an important motion regarding council functioning at a future meeting.  If that is not proper, I guess I would have to find a voting member to present the motion.  I would rather present it myself.  

On 2/4/2024 at 4:18 PM, Guest Stephen Day said:

Can the chairperson of a committee or council propose a motion that, if seconded, would require a vote by eligible members?  

If small-board rules are in use, yes.  Although there aren't many motions that require a vote.  All sorts of things can happen to a motion, many of them not involving a vote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.