The Official RONR Q & A Forums

E-Board call for a Vote

Guest Mike F

Hi all,

As a small local (50 total) our 7 member E-Board has in its bylaws the ability to vote to have a "special meeting" for a single topic.  At our previous week's meeting, this topic was discussed at length, and no motion to vote was called by members.  With this matter being time sensitive, a week later our E-Board voted amongst themselves to not have a special meeting, but hold a department wide vote allowing each member to vote yea/nay on said topic.  This was decided by our E-Board to be the best avenue since it allowed each member a voice and did so in a timely manner rather than posting a special meeting and waiting 7 days. 

Is there anything in Robert's Rules that speaks to this procedure, our bylaws do not have anything. 

Thank you for any help,

Mike

RONR doesn't authorize anything similar to that; this whole procedure of the board being able to call a membership meeting is a creature of your bylaws. Since your bylaws, it seems, also do not authorize the board to call for a department-wide vote, it seems the board is not authorized to do so, unless there is a statute authorizing it.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:41 PM, Guest Mike F said:

Hi all,

As a small local (50 total) our 7 member E-Board has in its bylaws the ability to vote to have a "special meeting" for a single topic.  At our previous week's meeting, this topic was discussed at length, and no motion to vote was called by members.  With this matter being time sensitive, a week later our E-Board voted amongst themselves to not have a special meeting, but hold a department wide vote allowing each member to vote yea/nay on said topic.  This was decided by our E-Board to be the best avenue since it allowed each member a voice and did so in a timely manner rather than posting a special meeting and waiting 7 days. 

Is there anything in Robert's Rules that speaks to this procedure, our bylaws do not have anything. 

Thank you for any help,

Mike

Yes, RONR speaks to such a procedure by prohibiting it, unless otherwise provided in the bylaws.   The rules in RONR prohibit conducting business, except at a properly called or regularly scheduled meeting at which a quorum is present, i.e. together physically in the same space.

On 2/21/2024 at 1:41 PM, Guest Mike F said:

Could you clarify what you mean by "our bylaws do not have anything"? Are you saying that your bylaws do not authorize a "department wide vote allowing each member to vote yea/nay on said topic" at all? Or are you saying they do authorize this, but provide no details on how the process works?

If the former, I concur with my colleagues. Unless the bylaws or applicable law provide otherwise, votes may only be held at a properly called or regularly scheduled meeting at which a quorum is present.

If the latter, however, RONR may provide some assistance. See RONR (12th ed.) 45:57-61.

Finally, the reference to a "small local" makes me wonder if this is a union. Unions tend to be heavily regulated by applicable law, and such laws will take precedence over RONR. If that is the case, I would advise directing your questions on this matter to legal counsel.

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.