The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minority of vote respecting decision of Majority.

kohlsm

I searched the forum and internet for this question as it pertains to the Roberts Rules 12th edition book.
I have found wording I was looking for in other books similar to Roberts Rules including Roberts Rules in Plain English by Zimmerman.

I understand that Roberts Rules is based on decisions are made based by a majority vote of the members present and that minority opinions are respected but not necessarily acted upon.
Does it say anywhere in Roberts Rules 12th edition, something to the affect that t
he minority has the right to be heard, but once a decision has been reached by a majority of the members present and voting, the minority should then respect and abide by the decision?

The introduction in relevant part says:

In an often quoted statement, [Robert] said: “The great lesson for democracies to learn is for the majority to give to the minority a full, free opportunity to present their side of the case, and then for the minority, having failed to win a majority to their views, gracefully to submit and to recognize the action as that of the entire organization, and cheerfully to assist in carrying it out, until they can secure its repeal.”

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.