The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presiding Officer Making or Seconding Motions

Bob Rhoden

Good Morning:

I searched the Forum, and didn't find anything on this.

My question is regarding the making or seconding of motions by the president or presiding officer.

I have always understood the Presiding Officer can not make or second a motion as long as he/she is in the chair.  This morning, I read from the California Department of Education the Presiding Officer enjoys all the privilges of the other members including making and seconding motions.

Is that true?

I know the Presiding Officer can vacate the chair in order to make a motion, but I'm wondering if he/she can vacate the chair after a motion is made, in order to second that motion.

Thank you in advance,

Bob

On 3/4/2024 at 10:29 AM, Bob Rhoden said:

I searched the Forum, and didn't find anything on this.

My question is regarding the making or seconding of motions by the president or presiding officer.

I have always understood the Presiding Officer can not make or second a motion as long as he/she is in the chair.  This morning, I read from the California Department of Education the Presiding Officer enjoys all the privileges of the other members including making and seconding motions.

Is that true?

To say that the presiding officer cannot make or second a motion certainly goes too far. Exactly what the rule is depends upon the group in question.

In a large assembly, the presiding officer should not make or second motions while presiding. However, the presiding officer ultimately retains the same rights as other members, including the right to make or second motions. The presiding officer should, however, relinquish the chair in order to exercise these rights.

In an assembly using the "small board rules," however, which are generally used in boards with not more than about a dozen members present, the presiding officer is free to participate as fully as any other member, including speaking in debate and making motions. Seconding motions is not required under the small board rules.

On 3/4/2024 at 10:29 AM, Bob Rhoden said:

I know the Presiding Officer can vacate the chair in order to make a motion, but I'm wondering if he/she can vacate the chair after a motion is made, in order to second that motion.

Generally, I am inclined to think that a situation where it is is necessary to do this is unlikely to arise. But ultimately, I see no reason why not.

Finally, given the reference to the California Department of Education, I gather this is some sort of public body (presumably, a school board). As a result, it may well be the school board's rules and/or applicable law have their own rules on these matters, and such rules will take precedence over RONR.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 3/4/2024 at 11:29 AM, Bob Rhoden said:

This morning, I read from the California Department of Education the Presiding Officer enjoys all the [privileges] of the other members including making and seconding motions.

Is that true?

Presuming that the rule that you read applies to the sort of assembly you're asking about (A local school board, perhaps?), then yes.  Government regulations in the nature of rules of order supersede the rules in RONR.  

But even if they did not, a small board of no more than a dozen members or so would use small board rules, which permit the Chair to participate fully, just as any other member.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.