The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Secretary refuses produce meeting minutes for multiple meetings

Guest Anya

Hello

Background: A local society, for which I am a DaL, has a major issue with producing minutes. I joined the board at our most recent AGM (November 2023) and we have monthly board meetings.  I had to argue with the secretary to get the November and December minutes before the January meeting, and have now not been able to get through minutes for the January or February minutes, or those for a Special Meeting held at the beginning of February.  Today is our March meeting and still none of those minutes have been made available (to my understanding, no one has received them).

I appear to be the only member of the board who views the lack of minutes as an issue, though I am also apparently the only member who is particularly familiar with the Societies Act (of BC), our society bylaws, and Robert's Rules. 

Question: What are the rules, if any, with regards to holding or continuing a meeting without previous minutes being either made available or read at said meeting for approval?  Subsequently, what are the rules, if any, with regards to holding or continuing a meeting without approving the previous meeting's minutes?

Thank you

The minutes can, if necessary, stack up. When they are finally brought to a meeting, they can be read and approved, one after the other, in the order of the dates of the meetings.  As you seem to already know, this is less than optimal, because people forget over time what actually occurred, so making corrections becomes more difficult.

If you feel the secretary has ventured into the field of inexcusable dereliction of duty, it is possible for this secretary to be deposed from office and replaced.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.