The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reversal of a previous vote

Jerry

Much depends on the details.

Later in the same meeting, a motion to Reconsider the vote can often be made, but only by someone who voted on the prevailing side the first time.  Certain motions can't be reconsidered, so I can't guess if this is true in your case.  See RONR 12th ed. §37.

After that, at a future meeting, a motion to Rescind can be made, as long as the adopted motion hasn't already been carried out.  See RONR 12th ed. §35.

On 3/30/2024 at 5:24 PM, Richard Brown said:

Agreeing with Mr. Novosielski, the motion to amend or rescind something previously adopted requires previous notice of the intent to make the motion and a 2/3 vote, or, in the alternative, without previous notice it can be done by the vote of a majority of the entire membership.  

Not generally, I wouldn't think.

Agreeing with Mr. Novosielski, the motion to amend or rescind something previously adopted requires previous notice of the intent to make the motion and a 2/3 vote, or, in the alternative, without previous notice it can be done by the vote of a majority of the entire membership.  

I believe the "and" should be an "or." 

Not exactly.

On 3/30/2024 at 7:09 PM, J. J. said:

I believe the "and" should be an "or." 

Ahh, yes. Thanks for catching that! Yes, the “and” should be an “or”. It should read, “the motion to amend or rescind something previously adopted requires a majority vote with previous notice of the intent to make the motion OR a 2/3 vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership”. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.