The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending the agenda

Guest Lindsay

Most likely, the whole agenda thing should be dropped. In most cases, assemblies that meet frequently should use the established order of business. If the organization's parliamentary authority is RONR(12th), the default order of business is the standard order of business found in RONR (12th ed.) 41:5.

I was trying to give a non-Procrustean response but am unclear what you mean by "both change the agenda and list the changes with the motion to accept"

At what stage are the amendments to agenda being proposed? After it has been distributed but before it has been moved to adopt the agenda? While the motion to adopt the agenda is pending? 

On 4/17/2024 at 10:25 AM, Guest Lindsay said:

When adding items to the agenda, is it necessary to both change the agenda and list the changes with the motion to accept? 
seems redundant to me…

Frankly, I don't understand the question.

When is this "adding" of items to the agenda taking place?  While it is pending for adoption?  After it has been adopted?

I assume that "change the agenda" means amend it, but I don't know what is meant by "list the changes with the motion to accept".

An agenda is circulated 1 week prior to meeting. 

At the meeting, the whole of council is asked for any additions or deletions to the agenda. It is accepted as presented or accepted as amended. 

If say 3 items are added under new business, they are added to the agenda in the order they are introduced under “New business”.

My question… do these additions also need to be added to the minutes as part of the amended motion. Literally listing them with the motion to amend.

ie/ motion:to approve the agenda as amended. additions as follows.

f) example 

g) example

h) example

We have a councilwoman who insists the changes need to be tracked and therefore listed in both places in the minutes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.