The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending Three Readings of Ordinance and Then Motion to table Ordinance Readings

Guest amy.wilkens@KentOhio.gov

Guest amy.wilkens@KentOhio.gov

Hello,

Our city council is considering an ordinance this evening, and per state law is required to do three readings of the ordinance. Tonight is the first. They typically vote to suspend the three readings and standing rules require 7 votes to pass suspension. If this passes, can a member make a motion to table the first reading? He said he would like to table this, but I am thinking he would like to postpone the reading instead. Which is correct?

On 4/17/2024 at 2:47 PM, Guest amy.wilkens@KentOhio.gov said:

If this passes, can a member make a motion to table the first reading? He said he would like to table this, but I am thinking he would like to postpone the reading instead. Which is correct?

I don't know what the member's objective is, so I can't say what motion would be appropriate, but I would suggest reviewing FAQ #12 and FAQ #13 and see if that helps any. It is certainly correct that the motion to Lay on the Table is frequently confused with the motion to Postpone to a Certain Time.

To the extent the intent is to postpone the consideration of the proposed ordinance, it would generally be in order to do so.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.