The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic meeting

Guest Andrew

Our HOA board is proposing to use BOX as a communication tool. By using this tool, the board can set it up to communicate among themselves and select others. All others would be excluded from viewing or participating. Electronic meetings have not been addressed in our bylaws. Would this action be opposed by Roberts Rules?

On 6/23/2024 at 11:05 AM, Guest Andrew said:

Our HOA board is proposing to use BOX as a communication tool. By using this tool, the board can set it up to communicate among themselves and select others. All others would be excluded from viewing or participating. Electronic meetings have not been addressed in our bylaws. Would this action be opposed by Roberts Rules?

If electronic meetings are not authorized in your bylaws, or required by administrative regulations applying to your type of society, then they are prohibited by RONR. 

On 6/23/2024 at 12:11 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

If electronic meetings are not authorized in your bylaws, or required by administrative regulations applying to your type of society, then they are prohibited by RONR. 

I agree, but I don’t believe that is the question. My interpretation of the question, and I believe that of Mr. Katz also, is that this tool will not be used for meetings as such or for voting, but rather for private communications among board members. It strikes me as being no different from using email, text messages, or a chat program such as Facebook messenger, discord, etc. 

I agree that if votes are going to be taken, this might constitute having a “meeting“ and would also  be a prohibited form of voting unless permitted by the bylaws or controlling law. 

Edited by Richard Brown
Edited first paragraph

On 6/23/2024 at 1:22 PM, Richard Brown said:

I agree, but I don’t believe that is the question. My interpretation of the question, and I believe that of Mr. Katz also, is that this tool will not be used for meetings as such or for voting, but rather for private communications among board members. It strikes me as being no different from using email, text messages, or a chat program such as Facebook messenger, discord, etc. 

I agree that if votes are going to be taken, this might constitute having a “meeting“ and would also  be a prohibited form of voting unless permitted by the bylaws or controlling law. 

Well, the title to the question was Electronic Meeting.  And since this is an HOA, there may be regulations about board members communicating outside the context of a meeting that supersede the rules in RONR.  I don't know enough about HOAs to offer advice except to say: check on that possibility.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.