The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timeliness of Agenda

Guest Rob Elsman

• 1 month later...

>>How far in advance must an agenda be sent to board members?<<

There is no time requirement for sending out a tentative agenda, and indeed there is no requirement to have an agenda at all.

Note that the agenda is not final u"

I am totally surprised that an agenda is not required. I have always thought that the agenda had to be presented to the board 24-48 hours before the meeting. When an agenda is presented, are you saying it is just a courtesy?

I am totally surprised that an agenda is not required. I have always thought that the agenda had to be presented to the board 24-48 hours before the meeting. When an agenda is presented, are you saying it is just a courtesy?

Firstly, note that this is a two-month old "imported" message from the old Q&A forum and that the original post is missing.

As far as RONR is concerned, an agenda is optional. As always, your rules may vary.

See also FAQ #14.

Yes. For executive boards that meet frequently and go through their order of business in one meeting of a few hours, there is no need to adopt an agenda at the beginning of each meeting, since the society's established order of business will ordinarily apply already. It is not improper for a copy of the memorandum of the order of business, prepared by the secretary in advance of each meeting for the use of the president in calling up the items of business in the correct order, to be distributed also to the other members in advance for information only. Please take a look at RONR (10thed.), §41, pp. 340ff. Note especially p. 363, ll. 8-20.

Archived