The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Incoming President

Guest Victor

I'm at odds with a practice I've seen recently.

This is 2010. The current President will conclude a term at the end of the year and the new President will begin duties 1 Jan 2011.

The incoming President was elected in 2009 and has had a year to work, ostensibly, alongside the reigning President.

While I understand the reasoning behind this practice, I don't believe this is sound. I can imagine a person deciding in December they must resign, thus having prevented another suitable candidate from training. In this case, it essentially creats a two-year term. It could well create a four-year term if the President is elected to a two year term in a given body.

Alternatively, the membership may see colors in an individual they don't like [how you get to be elected if you haven't been seen by the body to begin with is beyond me]. Perhaps an impeachment is in order or other method which may be stipulated in the bylaws may provide a mechanism for removal, but again, this seems a waste of time and perhaps a "theft of services" as it were [even though the electee agrees to the commitment].

While this may not jibe with this Board and RONR, is there justification for this kind of practice on a board?

This may in effect create "term-limits" but perhaps the seated President should be re-elected. Only a term of service would define the justification for reelection or dismissal at the end of the term.

Am I wrong to be surprised by this kind of action?

Am I wrong to be surprised by this kind of action?

Many organizations elect a President-Elect (p.441) who serves a term (e.g. a year) and then automatically becomes the President. In other words, the President is never directly elected.

In the scenario you described, there is just an unusually long time between the moment the new president is elected and when he takes office. The RONR default is that a person assumes office the moment his election is complete. Some organizations delay that until the end of the meeting. Some delay it longer. I think few delay it a full year but anything's possible. As you suggest this can create problems.

While I understand the reasoning behind this practice, I don't believe this is sound ... Is there justification for this kind of practice on a board? ... Am I wrong to be surprised by this kind of action?

To quote a famous poet:

"The fault, dear Victor, lies not in the stars, but in your bylaws (and the yahoos who drafted them and adopted them)."

-- Henry Martyn Shakespeare, from "Julius Caesar, CEO of the Roman Empire." B)

To quote a famous poet:

"The fault, dear Victor, lies not in the stars, but in your bylaws (and the yahoos who drafted them and adopted them."

-- Henry Martyn Shakespeare, from "Julius Caesar, CEO of the Roman Empire." B)

Kim, thanks for the chuckle!

They are not my organization's laws, I've only observed them in practice.

And your citation of Bill Shakespeare, well, who do we follow? The Emperor or the General?

Et tu?

Archived