The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reorganization meeting...who attends????

shelleyr25

Why wouldn't it be the entire Membership since you are talking about reorganizing the Board or the organization (it is not clear which)? If it is the organization the Membership very likely would have a say unless the bylaws give the Board exclusive authority to deal with those matters. If it is the Board being reorganized then it would depend on what exactly you will be doing to "reorganize" it. If any of the duties imposed by the bylaws or Membership are being tinkered with the Membership would have a say unless the bylaws give the Board the exclusive authority to deal with these matters.

do you know if that is in writing somewhere???

See RONR, 10th ed., pg. 3, lines 8-12 and RONR, 10th ed., pg. 625, lines 19-28. A "former member" is just a non-member so far as RONR is concerned.

Why wouldn't it be the entire Membership since you are talking about reorganizing the Board or the organization (it is not clear which)?

Although it's not a RONR term, I have seen several posters use the term "reorganization meeting" to refer to the meeting of a board or other elected body held after the members of the body are elected, for the purpose of electing officers. That appears to be the case here as well.

Chris- no changes are being made except for a couple of positions being changed, one of which is the President...It is just a Board Reorganization.

What do you mean by "a couple of positions being changed, one of which is the President"? Can you please clarify because it is more and more sounding like the Board wouldn't have the authority to do what you are talking about.

Yes, it is a meeting that is held after newly elected board members have been voted in and installed. Sorry if I am being confusing. We have a new incoming President and one of the secretarial positions as well. The rest of the board is remaining the same from the previous year. I am trying to find out if it is an "official" meeting that must follow some type of procedure or a "casual" meeting where the new board members themselves can decide if the outgoing members should attend. My impression is that it would be the time for outgoing and incoming members to attend to exchange paperwork etc...I was just wondering if there was something more formal that should be adhered to.

We have a new incoming President and one of the secretarial positions as well. The rest of the board is remaining the same from the previous year.

Okay, so I was on the right track, although I was wrong about the electing officers part.

I am trying to find out if it is an "official" meeting that must follow some type of procedure or a "casual" meeting where the new board members themselves can decide if the outgoing members should attend. My impression is that it would be the time for outgoing and incoming members to attend to exchange paperwork etc...I was just wondering if there was something more formal that should be adhered to.

Even if the meeting is "official," the board may still invite the former board members to attend. They are just not entitled to attend, and have no rights at the meeting.

Archived