The Official RONR Q & A Forums

agenda

Guest georgia nielsen

Guest georgia nielsen

I am interested in how agendas are formed-- by officers? --by the president? -- requirements for format such as order of agenda items, if any. Could elections of officers be held as the first order of business before minutes approval, officer reports and so on?

I am interested in how agendas are formed-- by officers? --by the president? -- requirements for format such as order of agenda items, if any. Could elections of officers be held as the first order of business before minutes approval, officer reports and so on?

See FAQ #14.

Many assemblies meet without an agenda at all.

I am interested in how agendas are formed-- by officers? --by the president?

Neither. The agenda (if any) is adopted by the assembly by majority vote. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 360, lines 18-20; FAQ #14)

-- requirements for format such as order of agenda items, if any.

There aren't really any requirements, as one reason to adopt an agenda is to deviate from the assembly's normal order of business. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 361, lines 7-10)

Could elections of officers be held as the first order of business before minutes approval, officer reports and so on?

It would be highly unusual to do much of anything before approving the minutes, but yes, the assembly could choose to do so.

Now, what if the order of business for election of officers for the new term is held at the onset or in the middle of the meeting, would the newly elected officers take over immediately?

If the rules in RONR are controlling, yes.

And per RONR, it would happen in the middle of the meeting (unless the assembly voted to do otherwise). Special orders come after reports of special committees and before unfinished business in the standard order of business. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 342, lines 15-17)

Archived