The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Refreshing Screen

My computer doesn't like it when I hit F5 to refresh. Why doesn't the Board allow for such a refresh? Thanks!

It's not clear what you mean by "my computer doesn't like it", nor is it clear why you think this board doesn't "allow" pages to be refreshed.

Note that refreshing a page doesn't do the same thing as "view new content". This board is, at heart, a dynamic database with many inter-connected files. Note, for example, that when you change your signature, it is changed wherever it appears, even on earlier posts. In other words, your signature is not part of the post but is displayed "live" when the post is displayed. But I digress.

Also, cookies are used to keep track of which posts you have already viewed. Refreshing a page won't change those cookies.

In short, I can think of no reason to refresh a page. Simply click on "View New Content". But maybe I'm missing the problem?

My computer doesn't like it when I hit F5 to refresh. Why doesn't the Board allow for such a refresh? Thanks!

As I believe you're using Firefox, when you press F5 the icon for the website you're on (in this case a blue triangle upside down with two smaller triangles beneath) should be replaced by a swirling circle of lines, as if a second hand on a clock in high gear.

So you see that happening?

As another test, while viewing the very top of the General Forum post list screen, press F5 and then scroll the window down a good bit so you're looking at the list of posts from yesterday or the day before. When the refresh is complete, the screen should return to the original view up at the top. If that works, then I'd think your F5 key is working fine.

Archived