The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum for Board when uneven number

Guest Camellia Rose

Guest Camellia Rose

The Bylaws for my organization state: "The Executive Board shall be composed of all elected and appointed officers and all standing committee chairpersons. A quorum shall consist of one half plus one member of the Executive Board members." Twenty-one people make up the Executive Board. 21 divided by two equals 10.5 people, plus one equals 11.5 people for a quorum. I read RONR p. 336 l. 10-22, p. 469 l. 10-35, p. 334 & 335, and p. 20 l. 5-30. I could not find an answer. Although some members, during contentious debate, act like one half of a person, I know I can't tell the board that our quorum is 11.5 people. What Robert's Rule can I refer to in advising my President what the quorum is when the board is comprised of an uneven number of members? Thanks in advance.

Camellia Rose

The Bylaws for my organization state:

A quorum shall consist of one half plus one member of the Executive Board members."

Your quorum rule is ambiguous. It uses non-standard wording. Your quorum rule can be interpreted two ways.

What Robert's Rule can I refer to in advising my President what the quorum is when the board is comprised of an uneven number of members?

You can't refer to Robert's Rules of Order when you jump outside the system and customize a weirdo quorum rule of ambiguous language.

What Robert's Rules has to say on the matter is moot once you craft your own unique rule.

Recommendation:

• Pick one of the two possible interpretations.

• Amend your quorum rule as soon as you can. - Change it to the recommended wording of Robert's Rules of Order.

A quorum shall consist of one half plus one member of the Executive Board members."

Your quorum rule is ambiguous. It uses non-standard wording. Your quorum rule can be interpreted two ways.

Oh, that is funny. So, Camellia, it may be that your quorum is actually (and exactly) 1/2 plus 1 member of the EB.

(I'm flashing on Monty Python and the reading of the instructions for the Holy Hand Grenade count)

...Although some members, during contentious debate, act like one half of a person...

Very funny.

I think the rule, though very oddly worded, is not so terribly unclear that it cannot be interpreted. (Maybe it's because I've interpreted much worse.) But this forum can't interpret this for you--your organization must decide the meaning.

You may want to consult a parliamentarian when you do revise those bylaws. There are probably more strange things lurking in there.

I think the rule, though very oddly worded, is not so terribly unclear that it cannot be interpreted. (Maybe it's because I've interpreted much worse.) But this forum can't interpret this for you--your organization must decide the meaning.

So far as I can tell, all Ms. Rose is asking is whether you round down for a quorum requirement under the rules of RONR. And the answer to that is clearly "No." I haven't seen anything suggesting she needs an interpretation of the Bylaw.

If we accept Camellia's interpretation that the Bylaw means "one half of the members of the board, plus one," which seems quite logical, and the board has 21 members, at least 12 members would need to be present for the quorum requirement to be satisfied.

Archived