The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Charity

I am newly elected to the position of President on my child's Elementary School's PTO. The current set of bylaws state that a quorum consists of at least 4 members. This year, however, there are only 3 board members on the PTO. Can we conduct business or even vote to ammend the bylaws with only 3 members/

So we essentially don't have a board?! Is there anything we can do?!

Without knowing more about the society's bylaws, it will be impossible to give you a definitive answer. I suggest you find a parliamentarian in your area with whom you can sit down face-to-face to go over the relevant documents and facts to find the right answer for this society's situation.

So we essentially don't have a board?! Is there anything we can do?!

You need to elect/appoint another board member according to the process described in your bylaws. Or you can live without a board (at least until the next regular elections) and have all the decisions made by the general membership.

Similar question ...

Our governing documents say our Board shall consist of nine members. Therefore a quorum should be 5, a majority physically present.

Two directors resigned. Two seats are vacant.

So ... is a quorum still 5, or is it 4 ... a majority of the "survivors"?

Unless your bylaws have anything to say about it, since you have a Board of 7 your quorum would be 4. But -- were those resignations properly accepted? Resignations are a Request to Be Excused From Duty, and as such need to be voted on and accepted by the assembly that has the appointing authority to fill the vacancy. So, depending on that, those two directors may not have resigned just yet!

I am newly elected to the position of President on my child's Elementary School's PTO. The current set of bylaws state that a quorum consists of at least 4 members. This year, however, there are only 3 board members on the PTO. Can we conduct business or even vote to ammend the bylaws with only 3 members/

First of all, is this quorum of 4 members clearly described as the quorum for the board? Forgive the dumb-sounding question, but each assembly within an organization has its own independent quorum requirements, so it's important to be clear. Admittedly, 4 sounds very low as a quorum requirement for a general membership meeting, so it probably is for the board...

How many board members are there usually, and when/how are those members elected? What happened that resulted in only 3 members this year? The answers to those questions may lead to some suggestions on how to move forward, in accordance with the rules in RONR.

First of all, is this quorum of 4 members clearly described as the quorum for the board? Forgive the dumb-sounding question, but each assembly within an organization has its own independent quorum requirements, so it's important to be clear. Admittedly, 4 sounds very low as a quorum requirement for a general membership meeting, so it probably is for the board...

How many board members are there usually, and when/how are those members elected? What happened that resulted in only 3 members this year? The answers to those questions may lead to some suggestions on how to move forward, in accordance with the rules in RONR.

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. As I said earlier, I don't think we can give a definitive answer to the poster's questions on the basis of the facts given.

Archived