The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Votes in an executive session

Guest Paul

If a board convenes an executive session and passes motions in that session, are the specific votes of each member kept secret?

Our board had one and I want to know how each member voted as it will likely have an impact on who gets my vote at the next election. Thanks in advance.

If a board convenes an executive session and passes motions in that session, are the specific votes of each member kept secret?

Our board had one and I want to know how each member voted as it will likely have an impact on who gets my vote at the next election. Thanks in advance.

How each member voted is only recorded for a roll-call vote. Whether the meeting was held in executive session is immaterial. If it was a roll-call vote, the details go into the minutes which are available to all board members and, if so ordered, can be read at a meeting of the general membership.

Everything that happens in executive session is kept secret, unless the board decides otherwise, although the membership may order the minutes to be read. The minutes would only record the votes if the vote was taken by roll call (which seems unlikely).

How each member voted is only recorded for a roll-call vote. Whether the meeting was held in executive session is immaterial. If it was a roll-call vote, the details go into the minutes which are available to all board members and, if so ordered, can be read at a meeting of the general membership.

I think the fact that the meeting was in executive session does make a difference. If the meeting was not held in executive session, a board member could disclose how he voted (and possibly even how others voted, if the vote was not taken by ballot). Since the meeting was held in executive session, that is not an option.

I think the fact that the meeting was in executive session does make a difference. If the meeting was not held in executive session, a board member could disclose how he voted (and possibly even how others voted, if the vote was not taken by ballot). Since the meeting was held in executive session, that is not an option.

Yes indeed. I should have been clearer.

Archived