The Official RONR Q & A Forums

five member board

bobbjohnhendry55

I serve on a city board. They have always had five members and two alternates. It takes four votes out of five for a win. Only five can vote. If only four members are there, the applicant is given the option to defer till the next month. Last month our chairman gave the applicants permission to give a full case and then decide whether or not to defer. I voted against the issue and that caused me to be the prevailing party. The member sitting next to me got upset at my vote, made comments to the chairman, the chairman allowed him to cvhange his vote-he then revisited the item giving the deferrment. Is changing your vote after it is recorded proper.

bob

I serve on a city board. They have always had five members and two alternates. It takes four votes out of five for a win. Only five can vote. If only four members are there, the applicant is given the option to defer till the next month. Last month our chairman gave the applicants permission to give a full case and then decide whether or not to defer. I voted against the issue and that caused me to be the prevailing party. The member sitting next to me got upset at my vote, made comments to the chairman, the chairman allowed him to cvhange his vote-he then revisited the item giving the deferrment. Is changing your vote after it is recorded proper.

bob

No, not without unanimous consent. See RONR, Off. Interp. 2006-21 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

Archived