The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Motion - Out of Order?

atlantastadium

Can committees make motions that are not germane to the intent of the committee? The Ladies Outreach Committee has been formed for an outreach purpose, but they want to make a motion to hire a church secretary, which is not within their scope. Would this motion be out of order?

Well, technically speaking, committees don't make motions, members make motions.

So I don't think there's much of a problem if a member of the outreach committee makes a motion that has nothing to do with the job of the committee. As long as it's clear that she's not acting for the committee. And the only practical effect of that is that the motion will require a second.

Well, technically speaking, committees don't make motions, members make motions.

So I don't think there's much of a problem if a member of the outreach committee makes a motion that has nothing to do with the job of the committee. As long as it's clear that she's not acting for the committee. And the only practical effect of that is that the motion will require a second.

You ducked the question. The committee member makes a report on behalf of the committee and ends by moving adoption of the committee's recommendation to hire a secretary. Another member quickly makes a Point of Order that the motion is not related to the topic for the consideration of which the committee was established. If you are in the chair, is the member's Point of Order well taken or not? Why?

(Edited to correct the spelling of "commottee")

You ducked the question. The commottee member makes a report on behalf of the committee and ends by moving adoption of the committee's recommendation to hire a secretary. Another member quickly makes a Point of Order that the motion is not related to the topic for the consideration of which the committee was established. If you are in the chair, is the member's Point of Order well taken or not? Why?

The point of order is obviously well taken.

(Waht I meant was: -- !! )

Rob's "I agree" in response to Mr Mt.'s concession on the point of order (Friday, 2:15 PM), with the concession itself, obviously yield to Guest_guest_'s smashing point, buttressed with Dan Honemann's ROTFL emoticon.

(Because getting old, one acknowledges that Guest_guest_'s smashing point brings up a rare instance, and that the concession and crowing assertion of conquest would usually win the day.)

Archived