The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee rationale

lipets

A new committee was formed to revise the clubs bylaws and a rational for its creation was stated.

Then a Terms of Reference was sent to the appointed members.

Is this a standard way committees are formed and given their guide lines.

Does the TOR limit the committee from expanding its review of the bylaws.

Jim

You must be Canadian. Terms of Reference is not used in RONR. Instructions, which are binding on the committee, can be included in the motion to Commit, and additional instructions can be given later by way of a main motion. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 164, ll. 18-28; p. 169, ll. 21-26.

You must be Canadian. Terms of Reference is not used in RONR. Instructions, which are binding on the committee, can be included in the motion to Commit, and additional instructions can be given later by way of a main motion. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 164, ll. 18-28; p. 169, ll. 21-26.

No not Canadian?

I was told that a new edition of RONR is due out soon is that correct, I need to do more reading.

No not Canadian?

I was told that a new edition of RONR is due out soon is that correct, I need to do more reading.

Sorry. My experience on this forum is that posters who write about Terms of Reference are Canadian. Most people in the U.S. wouldn't know what you're talking about.

There has been some hint that the 11th edition might come out in 2011, but nothing official has been announced. You might want to check with your library to see if there is a copy of RONR in the circulation stacks. Most libraries keep their copies in the reference stacks, ...but just maybe...

Not sure if I should start a new thread on this?

If so please move it.

An issue 3 of us on the committee are discussing is what generally accepted practice(s)in modifications of bylaws and or constitution, the last major revision was '96.

As it reads now we're supposed to present it to the board in 3 months.

-----

Is it done by the executive committee or board of directors?

Or is done after being presented by a vote of the full membership.

IOW should the members all be allowed to participate.

Jim

Not sure if I should start a new thread on this?

If so please move it.

An issue 3 of us on the committee are discussing is what generally accepted practice(s)in modifications of bylaws and or constitution, the last major revision was '96.

As it reads now we're supposed to present it to the board in 3 months.

-----

Is it done by the executive committee or board of directors?

Or is done after being presented by a vote of the full membership.

IOW should the members all be allowed to participate.

Jim

Your bylaws should say how they are to be amended. Look near the end, probably under the heading Amendment of Bylaws. The procedure outlined there will have to be followed.

Perhaps I'm not being clear, sorry.

Our committee has been given a green light to change anything upto the point of discarding the present bylaws and rewriting from scratch.

So I'm asking what is done most often and if possible the reasoning.

I'm trying to push for a % of membership approval and take the current right away from the board.

Which method is used most often and why?

Perhaps I'm not being clear, sorry.

Our committee has been given a green light to change anything upto the point of discarding the present bylaws and rewriting from scratch.

So I'm asking what is done most often and if possible the reasoning.

I'm trying to push for a % of membership approval and take the current right away from the board.

If the board has the power to amend the bylaws, it cannot delegate that authority, so it will ultimately be up to the board. The committee is just making a recommendation, regardless of promises of green lights.

If you do nothing else, you should eliminate the board's authority to amend the bylaws and restore it to the general membership where it belongs. Do it while the board is willing to give up that ultimate power lest a future board, an "evil" board, amend the membership out of existence.

As for the recommended percentage for amendment, you might as well stick with the RONR default of previous notice and a two-thirds vote unless, for some reason, you want it higher (e.g. three-fourths).

The sample bylaws in RONR are a good starting point.

RONR's default gives the power to the general membership, not a board.

Thanks bunch! that's what I was looking for.

One last question for now.

I ordered the RONR so I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

with over 5,000 members and at the next meeting when this committees will present the changes there will be be perhaps 3-400 attending.

How do most org's collect the membership vote?

I want do do some form of electronic vote but I understand these provision will not be in the 10th ed.

Thanks bunch! that's what I was looking for.

One last question for now.

I ordered the RONR so I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

with over 5,000 members and at the next meeting when this committees will present the changes there will be be perhaps 3-400 attending.

How do most org's collect the membership vote?

I want do do some form of electronic vote but I understand these provision will not be in the 10th ed.

That's up to the general membership. See sections 30 and 45.

After studying the directive for this committee I missed this "a revision of the constitution and bylaws and policy"

containing the word "revision" I think means we are not simply amending we are rewriting them?

Reading p. 575 our finished product is supposed to go to the exec committee for approval, if approval then to the membership for approval?

Is this correct?

--------

Also the current bylaws contain numerous pages of policy pertaining to each bylaw.

Is that normally done?

Jim

containing the word "revision" I think means we are not simply amending we are rewriting them?

A revision is simply a particular type of amendment in which a new set of Bylaws is introduced to completely replace the old ones. This means that the full revision is up for amendment and debate rather than considering individual amendments, and that there are no scope of notice restrictions. The rules in the Amendment section of your Bylaws still apply.

Reading p. 575 our finished product is supposed to go to the exec committee for approval, if approval then to the membership for approval?Is this correct?

The committee reports to whatever assembly it is a committee of. For a Bylaws committee, this is typically the general membership.

Is that normally done?

No. Don't put rules in the Bylaws unless you want them there. Adopt lower-level rules as special rules of order (rules related to parliamentary procedure) or standing rules (administrative policies).

Archived