The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"Member in good standing"

Guest Martin

Is there a set definition listed in Roberts Rules for the term "member in good standing"? My organization is trying to put such a definition together, and it's created some fairly lively debate.

Not really. In RONR it just means a member who is not under disciplinary suspension. I suspect you'll want to come up with a definition which is more specific to your organization.

Is there a set definition listed in Roberts Rules for the term "member in good standing"? My organization is trying to put such a definition together, and it's created some fairly lively debate.

Rather than trying to define the term, you could simply (?) identify certain situations (e.g. non-payment of dues) and their consequences (e.g. loss of voting rights). It's only when there's a number of situations (e.g. non-payment of dues, poor attendance, bad hygiene, etc.) that result in a number of sanctions (e.g. loss of voting rights, no tickets to the annual picnic, shaved head) that a catch-all category like "member in good standing" might be helpful.

And note that what organizations really want to define is "member in bad standing". Anyway, try Googling "member in good standing" (with quotation marks) and see what turns up.

Whatever you come up with, be specific! At least once a month someone on this forum will ask something like, "If a member loses the right to vote, can he still make a motion?".

Not really. In RONR it just means a member who is not under disciplinary suspension. I suspect you'll want to come up with a definition which is more specific to your organization.

...or whose rights as an individual member are not in suspense on account of some rule in the bylaws (e.g., being in arrears on dues).

Archived