The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination for Directorship

Guest Nancy Podurgiel

Guest Nancy Podurgiel

If someone is nominated for Directorship,the nomination is seconded, and there are no further nominations, what is the correct wording in recording this action in the minutes of the meeting? (name of person) was elected by ????. I am the secretary of a condominium association and want to use the correct wording in the minutes of our annual meeting.

If someone is nominated for Directorship,the nomination is seconded, and there are no further nominations, what is the correct wording in recording this action in the minutes of the meeting? (name of person) was elected by ????. I am the secretary of a condominium association and want to use the correct wording in the minutes of our annual meeting.

If your bylaws don't require a ballot vote, and if there is only one nominee for a particular office, the chair can declare that person elected "by acclamation".

And nominations don't require a second (though seconds are not uncommon).

Do the bylaws require the Director be elected by ballot? If so, a ballot vote must be held and you would record the tellers report in its entirety in the minutes (RONR pp. 403-404). If a ballot vote is not required under the bylaws the Chair could declare the sole nominee by acclamation and the minutes would record that fact (RONR pp. 428-429).

If a vote is required then the Minutes would read something like this:

"John Smith was elected to the Board of Directors."

If no vote is required, then the Minutes could read like this:

"John Smith was elected to the Board of Directors by acclamation."

The first wording would work regardless of whethor or not a member was elected or acclaimed. However, the second wording, in my opinion, would be more accurate if there was no vote required as owners (in this case) - or the general membership - will likely not remember how the person was elected.

Some organizations will also state how long a term the person is serving - again because the general membership may find it a benefit.

Archived