The Official RONR Q & A Forums

private club membership revocation

Guest Della Bryant

Our club is now a 501 © 7, has been Incorporated with the State, tax exempt, non-profit (under $10K).

One benefit of being a club member in good standing is access to our website (the forum is one section).

A club member & his wife has done nothing but "stir it up" in the forum section of the website for years.

Our bylaws do not address forum issues.

The EC (exec comm) has done everything to maintain a sense of integrity, honesty, and no negative postings,

as stated in the by laws we are 'family oriented'; not Beavis & Butthead mentality as the 2 members are.

It's finally gotten so out of control, club members came to the Sept meeting; when asked by the President if there

was any new business, the club members brought up issues with this couple-wanting it stopped. They brought it

up, discussed it, we shared the EC's attempts to curtail these 2 members (short of revocation of club

membership and deny access to all except read only portions of our website forum). The members also voted

to make the club forum a zero tolerance for negativity, with the EC's as moderators of this forum.

The members made a motion, there was a second, to expell these 2 members from the club. The President took away

website access, sent them an email advising what took place at the meeting they chose not to attend, stating

they are no longer club members, and even offered full refund of dues.

Now they threaten legal action (which they have done before).....

How do we get rid of these people? In their mind, they can't accept the fact other members voted them out-not

the EC.

Also, this was officer nomination month. So we had to advise all new nominees the honest truth. The club, the

Board of Directors, and all officers have been named in this recourse. The club has no insurance. To complicate

matters, this was officer nomination month, so we had to share the legal issue.

To me this is simple; if I am not wanted or liked by a club, I would leave; but these 2 insist on being part

of the problem, but not the solution.

Does Roberts Rules cover this situation???

Thank you

Our club is now a 501 © 7, has been Incorporated with the State, tax exempt, non-profit (under $10K).

One benefit of being a club member in good standing is access to our website (the forum is one section).

A club member & his wife has done nothing but "stir it up" in the forum section of the website for years.

Our bylaws do not address forum issues.

The EC (exec comm) has done everything to maintain a sense of integrity, honesty, and no negative postings,

as stated in the by laws we are 'family oriented'; not Beavis & Butthead mentality as the 2 members are.

It's finally gotten so out of control, club members came to the Sept meeting; when asked by the President if there

was any new business, the club members brought up issues with this couple-wanting it stopped. They brought it

up, discussed it, we shared the EC's attempts to curtail these 2 members (short of revocation of club

membership and deny access to all except read only portions of our website forum). The members also voted

to make the club forum a zero tolerance for negativity, with the EC's as moderators of this forum.

The members made a motion, there was a second, to expell these 2 members from the club. The President took away

website access, sent them an email advising what took place at the meeting they chose not to attend, stating

they are no longer club members, and even offered full refund of dues.

Now they threaten legal action (which they have done before).....

How do we get rid of these people? In their mind, they can't accept the fact other members voted them out-not

the EC.

Also, this was officer nomination month. So we had to advise all new nominees the honest truth. The club, the

Board of Directors, and all officers have been named in this recourse. The club has no insurance. To complicate

matters, this was officer nomination month, so we had to share the legal issue.

To me this is simple; if I am not wanted or liked by a club, I would leave; but these 2 insist on being part

of the problem, but not the solution.

Does Roberts Rules cover this situation???

Thank you

The procedures for discipinary actions against members are given in RONR (10th ed.), §61, pp. 624ff. It's a long, complex chapter, so I suggest you set aside sufficient time to give it a thorough read.

Majority rules. Club members voted them out. President sent email with explanation

AND a total refund of members dues (which we didn't have to do). Since we are a private

club, would we have to amend our bylaws to state majority rule on banning them from the

club? I know RONR 10th ed/61/624 is an extremely long time consuming event. Thank you

for the warnng. :)

We have taken the website access away, removed them as club members in good standing,

and they will be asked to leave any club sanctioned meeting or event.

Also, how does one go about locating a Parlimantarium to re-write our bylaws?

Thank you for your assist on this one as we are in unchartered waters. You would think

the answer is simple. Don't go where you are not welcome. They want to cause this club

as much trouble as they can...bottom line; with them, it's personal.

Majority rules. Club members voted them out.

It doesn't quite work that way for disciplinary action. There is a lengthy investigation and trial procedure in RONR, and at the end, it takes a 2/3 vote for expulsion.

Since we are a private club, would we have to amend our bylaws to state majority rule on banning them from the club?

Yes. The current expulsion is null and void, as you have violated their due process rights as members.

We have taken the website access away, removed them as club members in good standing, and they will be asked to leave any club sanctioned meeting or event.

Unless there is a clause in your Bylaws that allows you to do this by majority vote with no due process, all of this is null and void.

Archived