The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Questioning Board Decision

Guest peachtree1701

The HOA Board in a closed meeting does not wish the association to pay for a repair to a Unit area which is part of a limited common element. Unit owner involved wishes to present the dispute to the membership at upcoming open annual meeting, for opinion and consideration. Can you advise as to the basic steps for procedure? Thank you.

Unless the Board has exclusive authority in this matter (only your governing documents would say, and no don't post them here), the owners can simply make a motion at the annual meeting regarding the matter.

And view this.

Thank you for replying. I wish to make such a motion, however, have no idea as to how, or at what point in the meeting to do so. Can you give me some direction? Thanks again.

Thank you for replying. I wish to make such a motion, however, have no idea as to how, or at what point in the meeting to do so. Can you give me some direction? Thanks again.

Best to write it out so that's clear, concise and to the point: "I move, that: blah blah blah" (blah blah blah is the clear consice stuff ;) )

You can make it whenever nothing else is pending, but during New Business is always a good time, too.

Best to write it out so that's clear, concise and to the point: "I move, that: blah blah blah" (blah blah blah is the clear consice stuff ;) )

You can make it whenever nothing else is pending, but during New Business is always a good time, too.

Does the motion have to be submitted to the Board in writing? Should my motion include a request for permission to submit the matter to the membership for discussion? Can I request a vote of the membership as to their opinion?

Does the motion have to be submitted to the Board in writing? Should my motion include a request for permission to submit the matter to the membership for discussion? Can I request a vote of the membership as to their opinion?

The board has no role at a meeting of the general membership. Just make the motion as Mr. Mervosh described. The membership will let you know their opinion during debate and when they vote.

The HOA Board in a closed meeting does not wish the association to pay for a repair to a Unit area which is part of a limited common element.

Unit owner involved wishes to present the dispute to the membership at upcoming open annual meeting, for opinion and consideration.

Can you advise as to the basic steps for procedure?

Beware.

Home-owners associations are usually structured so that the board has 100% control over money and property, with the only right of the general membership (the owners) being to elect its board, and amend its bylaws - and nothing else.

If YOUR HOA is structured like this, then the most you can do is to lobby, caucus, and otherwise persuade, a majority of your board to approve whatever it is you wish repaired.

Or, of course, you can elect sympathetic NEW board members who are in-sync with your wishes and your goals.

Of course, if your HOA is structured otherwise, then you must proceed to appeal to whatever body is empowered to do such repairs.

That is YOUR homework assignment, of course. - You must determine "who is in charge".

Archived