The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By Laws Amendment

Guest Andym

Our 300 plus meber association with a 24 member Board , has proposed the following bylaws amendment:"The Members of the Association by a majority vote of the members present or by a two/thirds vote of the Board may alter, suspend, or annul these bylaws at any meeting called for that purpose".

I think it's very poorly phrased but would like to know if it's contray to Roberts Rules or just stupid.

Thank you

Our 300 plus meber association with a 24 member Board , has proposed the following bylaws amendment:"The Members of the Association by a majority vote of the members present or by a two/thirds vote of the Board may alter, suspend, or annul these bylaws at any meeting called for that purpose".

I think it's very poorly phrased but would like to know if it's contray to Roberts Rules or just stupid.

Thank you

Annul? And then what?

Our current bylaws require that proposed amendments be sent to all members at least 30 days in advance of the meeting at which they will be voted on. If a proposed amendment be reworded or itself amended at the scheduled meeting, can voting on it proceed or must it be re-sent, etc. and action be postponed to a future meeting ? Seems to me it should and needs it. What says Roberts ?

Archived