The Official RONR Q & A Forums

withdraw a resignation

Guest gardener

Our officers take office in January annually. The president assumed his position because no one else ran against him. His wife assumed the role of secretary under the same circumstances. A VP and Treasurer were nominated and elected as was a plot coordinator in this community garden. They make up the entire slate of our officers. There are no committees.

Under the circumstances described below, can any of resignations below be withdrawn and the people re-assume their positions?

The VP resigned within two months due to conflicts with the president about his unorthodox dictatorial way of doing things outside the rules.

The VPs resignation was announced. Assembly was not asked to accept.

The treasurer resigned under similar circumstances. She was told she would be given the books and her name added at the bank in a "few months" and in the meantime the president spent any monies he wanted to. She got out quick!

The Treasurer's resignation was announced. Assembly was not asked to accept.

A replacement Vice President of our association was verbally badgered and bullied by the president to resign her position also.

This VP's resignation was announced. Assembly was not asked to accept

The president appointed his friend as the "acting VP" and appointed his wife, the secretary, as the "acting Treasurer."

There were objections, and nominations were scheduled. The president took the nominations off the agenda they were on and when asked why no nominations would be held, said, "It isn't gonna happen."

On the agenda the president posted for tonight,are nominations and elections for interim VP and Treasurer, three months later ("if the group wants")

We are thinking some of the above people might still actually be in office???? If so, they would be willing to step back in rather than hold new elections.

This same president posted tonight's agenda last night, 24 hours in advance of the meeting, and has as one of the items of business "the removal of the plot coordinator for cause"

Our bylaws do not provide for any appointments by anyone including the president

Our bylaws do not provide a process for replacement of a resigning officer

Our bylaws, unfortunately, only state the term of an officer as one year (with no other provision for replacement earlier, or we would have gotten rid of the abusive president by now)

YES! We are learning the hard way. We assume the appointments are illegal and were told so on this board once before. We are assuming he cannot bring the removal of the officer to the assembly but must have an investigating committee start the process. IF we are right, who "appoints" the investigating committee? Please tell us it is not the President.

We are just trying to get through to November nominations for December elections of new officers with as little damage done as possible. Creating a "trial" for this president will not happen given the non-confrontational nature of our assembly, the fact they believe he can take away their gardens, and the fact that half or more do not speak English.

Long winded, but thanks to whomever can respond.

Our officers take office in January annually. The president assumed his position because no one else ran against him. His wife assumed the role of secretary under the same circumstances. A VP and Treasurer were nominated and elected as was a plot coordinator in this community garden. They make up the entire slate of our officers. There are no committees.

Under the circumstances described below, can any of resignations below be withdrawn and the people re-assume their positions?

The VP resigned within two months due to conflicts with the president about his unorthodox dictatorial way of doing things outside the rules.

The VPs resignation was announced. Assembly was not asked to accept.

The treasurer resigned under similar circumstances. She was told she would be given the books and her name added at the bank in a "few months" and in the meantime the president spent any monies he wanted to. She got out quick!

The Treasurer's resignation was announced. Assembly was not asked to accept.

A replacement Vice President of our association was verbally badgered and bullied by the president to resign her position also.

This VP's resignation was announced. Assembly was not asked to accept

The president appointed his friend as the "acting VP" and appointed his wife, the secretary, as the "acting Treasurer."

There were objections, and nominations were scheduled. The president took the nominations off the agenda they were on and when asked why no nominations would be held, said, "It isn't gonna happen."

On the agenda the president posted for tonight,are nominations and elections for interim VP and Treasurer, three months later ("if the group wants")

We are thinking some of the above people might still actually be in office???? If so, they would be willing to step back in rather than hold new elections.

This same president posted tonight's agenda last night, 24 hours in advance of the meeting, and has as one of the items of business "the removal of the plot coordinator for cause"

Our bylaws do not provide for any appointments by anyone including the president

Our bylaws do not provide a process for replacement of a resigning officer

Our bylaws, unfortunately, only state the term of an officer as one year (with no other provision for replacement earlier, or we would have gotten rid of the abusive president by now)

YES! We are learning the hard way. We assume the appointments are illegal and were told so on this board once before. We are assuming he cannot bring the removal of the officer to the assembly but must have an investigating committee start the process. IF we are right, who "appoints" the investigating committee? Please tell us it is not the President.

We are just trying to get through to November nominations for December elections of new officers with as little damage done as possible. Creating a "trial" for this president will not happen given the non-confrontational nature of our assembly, the fact they believe he can take away their gardens, and the fact that half or more do not speak English.

Long winded, but thanks to whomever can respond.

I think most of your question is answered in FAQ #18 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

You have to break an egg to make an omelet.

If more than half the assembly doesn't speak English, why conduct your meetings in a minority language?

We are in Hawaii. There are at least 5 languages in the gardens. English is the majority single language. Our bylaws state that every effort will be made to provide adequate interpretation for non-English speaking gardeners, but it does not happen with this president. People have offered to interpret and been told to sit down. We have offered to translate the minutes for the others but they will not print the minutes for us or post them on the web where they could easily be translated...they insist on reading them in an auditorium where much cannot be heard or even understood in English.

Might we have a loophole? Our bylaws say specifically, "Garden officers shall serve a term of office no longer than one year and shall not serve a consecutive term."

We cannot change the bylaws because it will take about 60 days through the city and county parent organization.

Thanks

Aloha to you too and thank you. I just became a member because I think I will be involved in the new administration. Right now I am serving to help get answers for the rest of the team.

My member name is Brooke and I restated this question for which you have directed me to #20. I have seen that one before, but our organization's wording has me confused as to whether or not we have to take the long trial way around. It is our wording "no longer than" that has me confused. You may terminate this thread and answer under Brooke ....how to remove president

Thanks so much for your help

Archived