The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does the chair make the motion?

Guest Kodos

In the order of business (or agenda of the meeting), "Motion A" is listed to be taken up under "New Business."

The full text of Motion A was also included as an attachment to the call of the meeting.

So...

During the meeting, when New Business is taken up, does the chair read the motion and ask for a second? Or does the chair recognize the member who wrote the motion, who reads it (followed by the chair asking for a second)?

Or does it matter?

-- Kodos

I think I've found the answer to my own question. :)

In the edition of Robert's Rules I have (1990), on p.32 under "Making a Motion" it says that "If conditions make it impractical for a member offering a written resolution to read it himself, he should sign it and pass or send it to the chair ahead of time.... In such a case the member offers his resolution by saying, 'I move the adoption of the resolution relating to...which I have sent to the chair....' The chair then says, 'The resolution offered by Mrs. A is as follows:....'"

The same process would work if the motion was sent to the secretary, except that the secretary would read the motion.

That seems pretty clear to me.

I think I've found the answer to my own question. :)

In the edition of Robert's Rules I have (1990), on p.32 under "Making a Motion" it says that "If conditions make it impractical for a member offering a written resolution to read it himself, he should sign it and pass or send it to the chair ahead of time.... In such a case the member offers his resolution by saying, 'I move the adoption of the resolution relating to...which I have sent to the chair....' The chair then says, 'The resolution offered by Mrs. A is as follows:....'"

The same process would work if the motion was sent to the secretary, except that the secretary would read the motion.

That seems pretty clear to me.

The language is clear. You'll still have to figure out whether or not "conditions make it impractical" for the member to read it himself.

Archived