The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unanimous consent

Matt Schafer

When a motion is adopted by unanimous consent, should the minutes reflect that fact?

(For example: "Mr. X moved to perform action Y. The motion was adopted by unanimous consent.")

Or should they simply state that the motion was adopted, just like any voice vote?

Using the sample minutes in RONR as the template, the answer is, apparently, just say, "was adopted."

See RONR's sample minutes for approval of minutes, which is always done via general consent.

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved as corrected.

Note no extra wording like "... by unanimous consent."

Not even for the amendments!

However, your organization is free to have the Minutes state whether a motion was simply "approved" or "approved by unanimous consent."

To do so, a member would need to make a motion to that effect and the assembly would then need to adopt it, correct? Nothing like that has been decided by the assembly, so I shall go back to the minutes that I'm currently drafting and take those pesky ". . . by unanimous consent" phrases out.

To do so, a member would need to make a motion to that effect and the assembly would then need to adopt it, correct? Nothing like that has been decided by the assembly, so I shall go back to the minutes that I'm currently drafting and take those pesky ". . . by unanimous consent" phrases out.

Oh, don't be so fussy. If something is agreed to by unanimous consent, there is nothing in RONR which says that it is improper to record that fact in the minutes.

Archived