The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy votes

Guest Cindy

our orgaization has their upcoming AGM, proxy votes are permitted as per our constituion. If a regual member signs over their proxy to a non member, can I nonminate that proxy holder for a position. Does the proxy holder hold all rights to that membership and waht is on that proxy. They would be great for the orgaization, they are not a member. Or can someone ask to strike that part of the constaution so this person will have a chance to run.

our orgaization has their upcoming AGM, proxy votes are permitted as per our constituion. If a regual member signs over their proxy to a non member, can I nonminate that proxy holder for a position. Does the proxy holder hold all rights to that membership and waht is on that proxy. They would be great for the orgaization, they are not a member. Or can someone ask to strike that part of the constaution so this person will have a chance to run.

The fact that someone holds a proxy in no way overrides the bylaw requirements for someone to hold office.

A proxy only gives someone the right to cast the vote of another person who is entitled to vote. It confers absolutely no membership rights of any kind beyond casting that vote.

• 2 years later...

I am on the board of an athletic association, and we are having elections tonight. We allow Proxy votes but if our bylaws state that only a member can turn in a proxy for someone who lives in the same permanent residence, do we have to except these proxy's if they are collected from several members who don't live with them?

I am on the board of an athletic association, and we are having elections tonight. We allow Proxy votes but if our bylaws state that only a member can turn in a proxy for someone who lives in the same permanent residence, do we have to except these proxy's if they are collected from several members who don't live with them?

See FAQ #10, especially the last sentence. If there is a question about how to interpret your bylaws, see RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

For future reference, please ask a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic seems similar.

Archived