The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Public correspondence at public meetings

Guest moore

If a letter is submitted to a public official for reading at a public meeting and to be made of public record, does that official have to read the correspondence or can it be dismissed and left unread?

The correspondence is factual misconduct of a public/elected official with request for his resignation.

Nothing in RONR requires the reading of correspondence at meetings.

Well, that's a little too broad a statement for me. For example, if a superior body addresses correspondence to an inferior unit or instrumentality requiring action on the part of the inferior, then the correspondence must be read, and an Objection to the Consideration of the Question that arises out of the correspondence is out of order.

Well, that's a little too broad a statement for me. For example, if a superior body addresses correspondence to an inferior unit or instrumentality requiring action on the part of the inferior, then the correspondence must be read, and an Objection to the Consideration of the Question that arises out of the correspondence is out of order.

So is it your position that the Correspondence must be read and there can not be an objection to the request for resignation.?

Can you please clearify your statement

My earlier reply was made in response to Mr. Mountcastle's assertion that no rule in RONR requires the reading of correspondence. His reply is unqualified and not correct in every instance. The example I gave was one instance where correspondence must be read.

My earlier reply was made in response to Mr. Mountcastle's assertion that no rule in RONR requires the reading of correspondence. His reply is unqualified and not correct in every instance. The example I gave was one instance where correspondence must be read.

Thank you and do you have a referance in Roberts Rules for this?

Thank you and do you have a referance in Roberts Rules for this?

It's not tied up in one tidy paragraph. There is a discussion of motions arising out of reports and communications in RONR (10th ed.), p. 27. The requirement to read documents that come before the assembly for action is discussed on p. 287.

It's not tied up in one tidy paragraph. There is a discussion of motions arising out of reports and communications in RONR (10th ed.), p. 27. The requirement to read documents that come before the assembly for action is discussed on p. 287.

Oh--and that an Objection to the Consideration of a Question cannot be applied to a communication from a superior body is mentioned briefly on p. 259.

Thank you for your help:)

Well, it shouldn't be of much help as the correspondence you're talking about doesn't seem to be the sort of correspondence Mr. Elsman is talking about. :)

From the facts provided, it seems to me that there is nothing in RONR which would require the correspondence to be read. The assembly may, if it wishes, order the official to read the correspondence. Additionally, since this is a public body, there may be applicable laws which would have bearing on this situation.

Archived