The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Meeting

Guest Munch

So at last nights Board meeting, there was a motion from a general membership member, who are allowed at Board meetings, to make our Treasurer and secretary life members. I asked the Board if they accept this motion from someone outside the Board. A Board member motioned to accept the motion from the floor and it passed. Then we voted by ballet on the motion on the floor and it passed 6 to 3 in favor to grand life memberships to both people. I felt that this needed to be voted on at a Membership meeting instead of a Board meeting. any thoughts?

So at last nights Board meeting, there was a motion from a general membership member, who are allowed at Board meetings, to make our Treasurer and secretary life members. I asked the Board if they accept this motion from someone outside the Board. A Board member motioned to accept the motion from the floor and it passed. Then we voted by ballet on the motion on the floor and it passed 6 to 3 in favor to grand life memberships to both people. I felt that this needed to be voted on at a Membership meeting instead of a Board meeting. any thoughts?

If the scope of the board's powers, as prescribed in the governing documents, does not include the making of "life members", then the adoption of the motion was null and void.

I cannot find anything in our Bylaws that spells out that the Board has athority to grant life memberships, nor can I find anything giving the membership that power. I just feel the membership runs the club not the board. any thoughts?

A board has only those powers that are delegated to it by the society's governing documents or an act of the general membership assembly in a specific case, RONR (10th ed.), p. 465, ll. 26-30. A main motion, made in a board meeting, that proposes to do something that exceeds the authority of the board is an improper main motion that is out of order, RONR (10th ed.), p. 106, ll. 20-25. And, if such a motion is adopted by the board, it is null and void, RONR (10th ed.), p. 244, ll. 10-11. A member of the board can still raise a Point of Order about this continuing breach at any board meeting, RONR (10th ed.), §23, pp. 240ff.

Archived