The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions and votes on bylaws

Guest Jude Sweeney

We have a general member that has brought before the board a desire to change the bylaws. We had a lengthy discussion, and thought that everyone was ok with the bylaws as they are. He has now contacted me (I am the president and chair of meetings), and asked if there will be a vote.

I'm rather new to Roberts rules, so I have a few questions. Whats the proper way to do this? Does someone need to make a motion for a vote, and have that seconded, and then the vote take place? Is it within the Presidents power to not permit the motion to be raised (I don't think it is, but others do)? Our by-laws state there is a 3/4 vote needed by members present to change this. It's not something that's real popular, except with a few people.

Does someone need to make a motion for a vote, and have that seconded, and then the vote take place?

A member makes a motion, such as "I move that the clubhouse be painted red." Another member seconds it. The chair then says, "It is moved and seconded that the clubhouse be painted red." The members then debate the motion, one at a time, and

the chair sees that their comments are germane to the pending motion -- no drifting onto other subjects. When debate is completed, the chair puts the question (motion) to a vote.

Is it within the Presidents power to not permit the motion to be raised (I don't think it is, but others do)?

When a motion is made and seconded, it must be immediately stated by the chair, with a few exceptions. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 37, l. 17-20.

EDITED: This only applies to motions made by members of the body that is meeting. In a board meeting, that would be only board members. Nonmembers of the body that is meeting have no right to make motions.

Our by-laws state there is a 3/4 vote needed by members present to change this. It's not something that's real popular, except with a few people.

The member still has a right to make a motion to amend it, and if that motion is seconded, it's the chair's duty to state it. The members will decide the result with their votes.

EDITED: This applies to the members of the body with the authority to amend the bylaws, in a meeting of that body.

This post has been edited in response to a point made by Mr. Mervosh. Thanks, George.

Archived