The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board Member Resignation

Guest Jimbo

In what ways can a board member officially resign so the board can move on to search for a replacement? Does there need be a written document?

First, check your bylaws for any rules that may be there. If a member says that he resigns and then takes it back before any action is taken, there is no resignation. If the person verbally resigns to only one person and then says he didn't, you can have problems. It is definitely easier if it is in writing.

First, check your bylaws for any rules that may be there. If a member says that he resigns and then takes it back before any action is taken, there is no resignation. If the person verbally resigns to only one person and then says he didn't, you can have problems. It is definitely easier if it is in writing.

Thank you for answering my question. My question is actually the outgrowth of a current issue facing our board. The board member in question resigned at a closed board meeting indicating it would be their "last" meeting". The resignation was witnessed by the full board, and management. The request was accepted and the board President acknowledging the resignation subsequently posted a notice to entertain prospective candidates for the vacant position. After a 3-month search, two candidates came forward, submitted their resumes and were interviewed by another board member at the request of the President. At the following meeting, a vote was taken (quorum was present) and a candidate was selected. At the very next meeting, the board member who had previously resigned was in attendance claiming they did not officially resign and wanted the position back. The state representative from the DHCR, who oversees the cooperative, claimed that since our development follows "Roberts Rules" and the individual did not submit a “written” resignation, voided the voting! There is no rule in our By-Laws that governs this scenario, please advise!

Thank you for answering my question. My question is actually the outgrowth of a current issue facing our board. The board member in question resigned at a closed board meeting indicating it would be their "last" meeting". The resignation was witnessed by the full board, and management. The request was accepted and the board President acknowledging the resignation subsequently posted a notice to entertain prospective candidates for the vacant position. After a 3-month search, two candidates came forward, submitted their resumes and were interviewed by another board member at the request of the President. At the following meeting, a vote was taken (quorum was present) and a candidate was selected. At the very next meeting, the board member who had previously resigned was in attendance claiming they did not officially resign and wanted the position back. The state representative from the DHCR, who oversees the cooperative, claimed that since our development follows "Roberts Rules" and the individual did not submit a “written” resignation, voided the voting! There is no rule in our By-Laws that governs this scenario, please advise!

This is covered in the citation given for RONR(10th ed.), p. 279, l. 10-30. You'll see that it says "normally in writing." However, no rule in RONR says that a request to be excused from a duty cannot be made orally. I'm inclined to suggest resignation be in writing, to avoid such confusion. Also, I'm inclined to think that the meaning of "this will be my last meeting" is open to interpretation, but if the chair promptly handled it as a motion to be excused from a duty, clarity would abound.

Since this happened in a board meeting, the minutes should reflect what was done. If they indicate the resignation was made and accepted, I'd say it's a done deal. Furthermore, it's on the record as such.

Ask this "state representative" to show you the rule that requires resignations to be in writing. Or even cite you a page number. He won't be able to.

The rule doesn't exist--at least not within the pages of RONR--any more than claiming that all motions must be in writing. It's just not so.

But the one thing that should exist in writing is the entry in the minutes of the meeting where the resignation was accepted, where it says something like

Mr. A moved "to accept the resignation of Mr. Z." The motion was adopted.

That's what makes the resignation "official".

Archived