The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Co-Presidents???

Guest dgoodman

Our president resigned. Our past president and a member that holds no office or represents a committee got together and nominated each other to be co-presidents. The past president just wanted back in and the member is a basically the mule. FYI, the member has attended 3 meetings all year. We meet monthly.

What I'd like to know is, is this legal according to RRO?

Thank you

Our president resigned. Our past president and a member that holds no office or represents a committee got together and nominated each other to be co-presidents. The past president just wanted back in and the member is a basically the mule. FYI, the member has attended 3 meetings all year. We meet monthly.

Thank you

Unless your bylaws specifically say otherwise for the office of president, when the office of president becomes vacant, the vice-president becomes president.

Unless your bylaws say otherwise, you cannot have co-anythings.

In case you are considering amending your bylaws to allow this, we don't recommend it. It's a bad situation.

-Bob

Our president resigned. Our past president and a member that holds no office or represents a committee got together and nominated each other to be co-presidents.

There no such thing as a nomination for a position that doesn't exist. If you don't have the office of co-president, which it appears that you do not, then you can't elect anyone to it, and you can't nominate anyone for it.

Thank you

No. As Mr. Fish mentioned, your vice-president (if you have one) automatically becomes president, in which case you have a vacancy to fill in the vp position. You can't just make up a new office, by way of a nomination.

Thank you

I can't spot anything correct in the whole mess.

Unless your bylaws say you have co-presidents, you do not. I don't care if they have business cards already.

And if you think it might be a good idea, continue to think until this is no longer the case. It is, in fact, an irredeemably bad idea. If you need more presidential-type officers, amend your bylaws to include a 2nd VP, 3rd, VP, as many VP's as you want. But never co-anything.

Shared responsibility means no responsibility.

Archived