The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsider a motion

Guest Tom

A motion to expend funds for a particular sign passed by 1 vote. During discussions following that vote, several members who voted in favor, learned that their understanding of the particular sign was flawed. Before going to contract, is there a particular process for bringing this vote back before the assembly for reconsideration?

I know that a Board member from the prevailing side of a vote can move for reconsideration of an issue. I also understand that the Chair can make the motion for recondideration if he/she is on the prevailing side. If that happens, does the second to the motion need to be from someone on the prevailing side? And must the vote to reconsider be taken before the meeting adjourns ... thus it cannot be done at the next or subsequent meetings?

I know that a Board member from the prevailing side of a vote can move for reconsideration of an issue. I also understand that the Chair can make the motion for recondideration if he/she is on the prevailing side. If that happens, does the second to the motion need to be from someone on the prevailing side? And must the vote to reconsider be taken before the meeting adjourns ... thus it cannot be done at the next or subsequent meetings?

1) No.

2) No. p. 311ff

I know that a Board member from the prevailing side of a vote can move for reconsideration of an issue. I also understand that the Chair can make the motion for recondideration if he/she is on the prevailing side. If that happens, does the second to the motion need to be from someone on the prevailing side?

No.

And must the vote to reconsider be taken before the meeting adjourns ...

No.

Those answers weren't to the same question at all. The first question related to when the motion needs to be made, the latter on when the motion needs to be voted upon.

Well, yes, but I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the second questioner is, in effect, asking the same question as the first. Thus the "it" in "it cannot be done" refers to the motion, not just the vote.

But perhaps not.

Well, yes, but I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the second questioner is, in effect, asking the same question as the first. Thus the "it" in "it cannot be done" refers to the motion, not just the vote.

But perhaps not.

Yeah, to quote Mr. Pope "must the vote to reconsider be taken before the meeting adjourns".

And must the vote to reconsider be taken before the meeting adjourns...

Yes, the motion to reconsider is only appropriate if it is brought up during the same meeting (technically, session, but not many organizations mentioned on this forum hold multi-meeting sessions)

... thus it cannot be done at the next or subsequent meetings?

At the next (or subsequent) meetings, the motion to rescind, or amend something previously adopted, would be the one to use. See RONR pp. 293-299 for more information.

I read over the exchange between Mssrs. Mervosh, Wynn, and Mountcastle twice, maybe three times... and decided to just bail and answer Mr. Pope's question again. I think the two-part format of Mr. Pope's second question muddied the waters.

edited to add:

Having now taken the time to actually look at pp. 311-312, as recommended by Mr. Mervosh, I conclude that I probably haven't helped Mr. Pope out any either. So, Mr. Pope, are you actually asking about a situation where the motion to reconsider is properly made at the same meeting (as the original motion), but the vote on the motion to reconsider is not taken until a later meeting? Because that can happen under certain circumstances, and I believe that's the question Mr. Mervosh and Mr. Wynn were obligingly answering for you.

Archived