The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What constitutes a board meeting

Guest Sky  Pilot

Actually, I think there was a quorum's worth of members there, once Sky-Pilot was unwillingly sucked in:

That's 4 out of the 6 board members, which is 2/3 (the quorum described in the quoted bylaws).

However, just to be clear, I'm certainly not making the claim that this was a valid meeting, just because 4 board members were in the room together.

A quorum for eating pizza, I like it. I suspect the quorum for casual dining might be slightly fewer than the regular one, though.

Did this organization's bylaws actually say, "Two-thirds of the vote will be considered the majority," or is there something wrong with my screen?

A quorum for eating pizza, I like it. I suspect the quorum for casual dining might be slightly fewer than the regular one, though.

Did this organization's bylaws actually say, "Two-thirds of the vote will be considered the majority," or is there something wrong with my screen?

Yes, "A quorum

will consist of 2/3’s of the Board."

And in another place it says, "These bylaws may be changed or amended by a vote of current* members at an open meeting.

Two-thirds of the vote will be considered the majority.

This may be unusual, but according to our Charter there are problems with the way that this meeting was conducted. You see the Treasurers job description has nothing to do with leading the group or the board as a body. His purview is only connected to the issues involving money. Yet, he has basically enacted himself King and is making decrees from his throne. "This is a Board meeting." as one example. This person has announced that he is running for his position again. Our next meeting is December 14th. All the candidates will have some time to speak at that meeting. Interesting note, last January at the voting meeting. He (the Treasurer in charge again) allowed me only 2 minutes to share my vision and plans with the club. I did no campagning and won by 4 votes over his chosen candidate. Oh, and the Facilities Coordinator they hustled into office at this 'non' Board meeting was the same guy that lost in January.

I'm typing up a letter to the general membership to inform them of the details of this supposed Board meeting. I'm supporting his opponant for the office of Treasurer. Are you surprised?

Sky Pilot

"A quorum will consist of 2/3’s of the Board."

Geez, Louise! :o

That's barely English. That's not even a legitimate abbreviation!

And in another place it says,

"These bylaws may be changed or amended by a vote of current* members at an open meeting."

"Two-thirds of the vote will be considered the majority."

Analogy #1: That is like saying, "A ratio of 2:1 equals 50.1%".

Analogy #2: That is like saying, "67% of the vote is more than half." - which prompts the question, "Then what about 60%?" - Isn't everything from 50.001% to 100% likewise?

Ye gods! :(

Whoever drafted your bylaws needs remedial English!

And remedial Arithmetic, too!

Geez, Louise! :o

That's barely English. That's not even a legitimate abbreviation!

Analogy #1: That is like saying, "A ratio of 2:1 equals 50.1%".

Analogy #2: That is like saying, "67% of the vote is more than half." - which prompts the question, "Then what about 60%?" - Isn't everything from 50.001% to 100% likewise?

Ye gods! :(

Whoever drafted your bylaws needs remedial English!

And remedial Arithmetic, too!

Okay, we've established that you guys are cute and smart. Kudos!

Now, I'm still trying to figure out what to do about all of this...

Sky Pilot

I believe Mr. Martin's posts contained some suggestions on how to proceed. Please feel free to ask further questions. Whether those suggestions can be successfully implemented in your organization will depend on some factors beyond the bounds of RONR -- you have to hope that a majority of the members care about the rules, and will vote to uphold the rules.

From Rigel VII?

(Note that the Rigellian edition of RONR is virtually identical to the Terrestrial edition.)

I'm fairly certain that was Kodos, not Kudos, but it's been a long time since I saw any of the old Star Trek episodes.

Not that any of this helps Sky Pilot very much.

I'm fairly certain that was Kodos, not Kudos, but it's been a long time since I saw any of the old Star Trek episodes.

I was actually thinking of the slobbering aliens from The Simpsons but you're right, the names first appeared on Star Trek.

Now if we can only find out what Kudos did with, or to, Sky Pilot.

Archived