The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rude behavior, rolling of eyes

ncatalano

Our club President likes to roll her eyes when she does not agree with, or dislikes a committee chair who has the floor and is speaking. What is the appropriate a action to stop this rude behavior?

Make her wear sunglasses? B)

Seriously, this kind of behavior is inappropriate for an officer, and the especially if she is presiding. It seems minor, sort of, compared to what we hear about on this forum, but it is clearly not the kind of behavior you should expect, or tolerate.

If there's any way that someone she respects enough to listen to could talk to her privately and explain that she needs to refrain from such behavior (the chair is supposed to maintain an obvious impartiality), then that may be all it takes. If not, you may want to look into replacing her. It may not be that easy, especially if she has a large contingent of "friends", both on the board and in the general membership.

Take a look at FAQ #20, and (I hope you have THE Book) a reading of Chapter XX to see what may be involved.

Annoying as this is for you, I'd start with the easier approach of trying to persuade her to simply knock it off, and honor her position with correct behavior.

What is the appropriate a action to stop this rude behavior?

Method #1:

Before a meeting (or even after a meeting), have a private consult with your president to inform the president that such behavior is unacceptable and must stop immediately.

Method #2:

If Method #1 fails, then remove the president from the chair. - Elect a chairman pro tem. Have your president take a "Time Out" to wear the dunce cap and to think about what the president has done, and why the president is being dumped.

Our club President likes to roll her eyes when she does not agree with, or dislikes a committee chair who has the floor and is speaking. What is the appropriate a action to stop this rude behavior?

On paper, this seems trivial, but having seen it first hand (not in your case of course), I never feel it is excusable.

It's a great idea to broach the subject outside a meeting, as Mr. Foulkes and Mr. Goldsworthy have suggested. Maybe she doesn't realize she's doing it. Maybe she doesn't see the harm. Maybe she'll stop, if it's brought to her attention.

If it happens still happens in a meeting:

You could start gently, by making a parliamentary inquiry, asking the president if it is appropriate for the chair to roll her eyes when members are speaking.

You could step it up by raising a point of order, such as "The chair should refrain from eye rolling when members are speaking." If she rules this "well taken," then she concurs and just might stop. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 240.

If she rules it "not well taken," you can appeal from the decision of the chair. This will require a second, and then the assembly will decide. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 247. So, make sure other members know to second your appeal and to vote against the decision of the chair, if necessary.

On paper, this seems trivial, but having seen it first hand (not in your case of course), I never feel it is excusable.

It's a great idea to broach the subject outside a meeting, as Mr. Foulkes and Mr. Goldsworthy have suggested. Maybe she doesn't realize she's doing it. Maybe she doesn't see the harm. Maybe she'll stop, if it's brought to her attention.

If it happens still happens in a meeting:

You could start gently, by making a parliamentary inquiry, asking the president if it is appropriate for the chair to roll her eyes when members are speaking.

You could step it up by raising a point of order, such as "The chair should refrain from eye rolling when members are speaking." If she rules this "well taken," then she concurs and just might stop. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 240.

If she rules it "not well taken," you can appeal from the decision of the chair. This will require a second, and then the assembly will decide. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 247. So, make sure other members know to second your appeal and to vote against the decision of the chair, if necessary.

Thank you, I will look into this although I am not an officer, just a common member. Our president is the person acting poorly.

It's still a good read. It will help you to know when to raise points of order when his inexperience (combined with apparently insufficient homework) causes him to make mistakes.

Archived