The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote by Email

Guest Kristin

I apologize if this has been asked many times...I searched the forums and could not find an answer

Our bylaws require the executive council (i.e., the officers) to authorize expenditures not included in the approved budget. We are allowed to conduct our business by email.

My plan is to e-mail the other members of the executive council explaining the requested expenditure, and motion that we authorize it. I am assuming another member of the e-council will then need to second this motion (by e-mail), then I need to e-mail a request asking for each member's vote. Is that the correct procedure? I know that is how it is done "in person", but I was not sure if someone needs to second when this is done via e-mail.

Thank you for your help. I have recently taken up the presidency of this organization and we have not been following robert's rules for many years...here's hoping my move towards formality is not met with opposition!!

-Kristin

I apologize if this has been asked many times...I searched the forums and could not find an answer

Our bylaws require the executive council (i.e., the officers) to authorize expenditures not included in the approved budget. We are allowed to conduct our business by email.

My plan is to e-mail the other members of the executive council explaining the requested expenditure, and motion that we authorize it. I am assuming another member of the e-council will then need to second this motion (by e-mail), then I need to e-mail a request asking for each member's vote. Is that the correct procedure? I know that is how it is done "in person", but I was not sure if someone needs to second when this is done via e-mail.

Thank you for your help. I have recently taken up the presidency of this organization and we have not been following robert's rules for many years...here's hoping my move towards formality is not met with opposition!!

-Kristin

RONR does not authorize e-mail voting at all, unless it is authorized in your bylaws. And if it is, RONR presumes that all the rules pertaining to e-mail voting would be in there as well, or better yet in your special rules of order.

So that's all it has to say.

Archived