The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting

Guest Mike

If I have two positions to fill and have a pool of 6 possible entries, how do you vote?

Do you do two rounds of voting and take one person with the highest number of votes in each round?

Or

Do you do one round and take the two highest numbers of votes for the individuals?

If I have two positions to fill and have a pool of 6 possible entries, how do you vote?

Do you do two rounds of voting and take one person with the highest number of votes in each round?

Or

Do you do one round and take the two highest numbers of votes for the individuals?

Neither.

The RONR answer is that each winning candidate must receive a majority (more than half) of the votes cast. In the situation you describe, that may take multiple rounds of voting. And no candidates are dropped from the list (unless they achieve the necessary majority, and are thereby elected). So, in your situation, you might have repeated rounds of voting, with all 6 candidates staying 'in the pool', before anyone gets a majority vote.

Or

Are these two identical positions, like 2 directors, or are they different offices, like secretary and treasurer?

Archived