The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Visitors Heard

Guest Carol Coccia

I attended my village's board meeting. On the agenda was "Visitors Heard." The chair at the beginning said he will allow short questions after the presentation. The board heard the presentation and made two motions that passed. The chair would not allow questions before, during or even after the presentation and voting. Do I have a right to ask questions from the audience? I feel an extremely important subject was voted on without public input. I think I want to move.

I attended my village's board meeting. On the agenda was "Visitors Heard." The chair at the beginning said he will allow short questions after the presentation. The board heard the presentation and made two motions that passed. The chair would not allow questions before, during or even after the presentation and voting. Do I have a right to ask questions from the audience? I feel an extremely important subject was voted on without public input. I think I want to move.

Only the board members have rights at a board meeting, under parliamentary law, though this meeting may be subject to state sunshine laws, which could grant additional rights.

Archived