The Official RONR Q & A Forums

democracy

Guest joe

I recently attended our local Twp. There are 3 members that make up the board.Immediately after the minutes were read, I raised my hand to ask them to make a correction to them and I was told that only the board members can do this. He said that's why only the 3 members vote to accept, then by role call, the minutes. Later in the meeting, another board member tried to make a motion, but he was told by the chair that he couldn't do that, without any explanition. The only words that the other board member got out was" I would like to make a motion " then he was interrupted by the chair saying that he couldn't do that. Why can't he make a motion ? Can people attending the meeting make motions ? Also, does the general members accept the minutes or just the board ? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Why can't he make a motion ?

Nothing from the facts provided would suggest he couldn't. What was going on at the time?

Can people attending the meeting make motions ?

Members of the body that is meeting make motions.

Also, does the general members accept the minutes or just the board ?

The general membership accepts minutes of general membership meetings and the board accepts minutes of board meetings.

Under the rules in Robert's Rules only the members of the 3 member board have the right to make motions, speak in debate, and vote.

Are you sure this is a board meeting?

Archived