The Official RONR Q & A Forums

what is the procedure to follow to form a nominating committee

Guest Denise

Iwould like to know what the procedure is on how to form a nominating committee?? I was under the impression you have to give 30 days notice and then you choose your people according to your specific by laws and then vote on these people, and they must be present to accept

First check your bylaws -- it is not uncommon for bylaws to have provisions establishing Nominating Committees, spelling out their tasks, &c.

If nothing there, form a NomCom just as any other committee -- see RONR p. 471 ff. There is no 30 day notice requirement in RONR, nor must appointees be present (although it helps).

I would like to know what the procedure is on how to form a nominating committee?? I was under the impression you have to give 30 days notice and then you choose your people according to your specific by laws and then vote on these people, and they must be present to accept

It sounds like you're blurring the rules for forming the committee with the rules for what they do.

If your bylaws don't tell you how to form one, and you're sure you want to, it's just like forming any other committee. The only restriction RONR recommends is that the method of "president appoints the members" should not be used.

If the instructions for the nominating committee's job are not included in the bylaws, then you can vote on that too, and let them know when you appoint/elect them.

Archived