The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Count abstentions and maintain speakers list

Youngchair

Hi all,

I am new to chairing our meetings, the youngest member by two decades, and perhaps too enthusiastic. I would appreciate your advice on the following:

a) Counting votes. We suffer from apathy - of 40 members, seven to nine vote regularly. Firstly, I would like to start counting the yay and neah and putting them in the minutes (not with names) and secondly, I would like to call for a active count of abstentions and putting those in the minutes [i worry some people are just not moving their arms.] Is this proper?

B) Before I began to chair, the discussions were chaotic to say the least. I instituted a speakers list, which calmed things down a lot, but there are about 5 people who want to speak 10 times per topic and therefore squeeze out others (ironically, they abstain from voting). Is it proper to have a list where first-time speakers are given priority over second- and third-time speakers? Any ideas?

Thank you!

Hi all,

I am new to chairing our meetings, the youngest member by two decades, and perhaps too enthusiastic. I would appreciate your advice on the following:

a) Counting votes. We suffer from apathy - of 40 members, seven to nine vote regularly. Firstly, I would like to start counting the yay and neah and putting them in the minutes (not with names) and secondly, I would like to call for a active count of abstentions and putting those in the minutes [i worry some people are just not moving their arms.] Is this proper?

cool.gif Before I began to chair, the discussions were chaotic to say the least. I instituted a speakers list, which calmed things down a lot, but there are about 5 people who want to speak 10 times per topic and therefore squeeze out others (ironically, they abstain from voting). Is it proper to have a list where first-time speakers are given priority over second- and third-time speakers? Any ideas?

Thank you!

If you are new to presiding, you will want to put a copy of RONR (10th ed.) in your own Christmas stocking. The proper procedures for putting a question and recording votes are discussed. It sounds to me like your whole group is not accustomed to transacting business under the rules. You might want to work on setting up some kind of study group of RONR In Brief. The rules for obtaining the floor are not difficult, but the members should know when and how to do it.

Meanwhile, you get to reading.

Firstly, I would like to start counting the yay and neah and putting them in the minutes (not with names) and secondly, I would like to call for a active count of abstentions and putting those in the minutes [i worry some people are just not moving their arms.] Is this proper?

The default method for a vote to be taken is a voice vote (or a rising vote for motions which require more than a majority for adoption). If the chair is in doubt on the result, he may call for a rising vote, or a member may demand a rising vote by calling a Division of the Assembly. If the vote is still in doubt, the chair could order a counted rising vote, or the assembly could order a counted rising vote by majority vote.

The assembly could order a counted rising vote to begin with if it wishes, but it does not seem proper for the chair to order a counted rising vote on his own unless he believes the vote will be either very close or the vote is on a motion to amend the Bylaws (in which case a counted rising vote is advised). Since you say you are concerned that members are not moving their arms, it seems you are using a show of hands vote, which is only advisable for small assemblies. I would not consider forty members to be a small assembly.

It is not proper to call for abstentions.

Is it proper to have a list where first-time speakers are given priority over second- and third-time speakers? Any ideas?

Under the rules of RONR, first-time speakers are given priority over second-time speakers, but there should be no need for a list. If more than one member rises to seek recognition at about the same time, the fact that some members have not yet spoken is one of the "tie-breaking" factors to be used. Unless the assembly has adopted a motion to Extend the Limits of Debate, there are no third-time speakers. The default rule is that a member may speak twice per motion per day, for up to ten minutes each time.

I think Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, In Brief is your assigned reading for the holidays, and you should also get a copy of the full version for your reference.

Archived