The Official RONR Q & A Forums

board trying to do away with motion previously adopted by members

Guest Nancy Nori

As a follow-up to my inquiry yesterday, to which 2 people kindly responded, which was: The board of our organization is attempting to introduce a new procedure that overrides a long-standing procedure, introduced by the board. Can that be done without it being brought to the membership?

If the MEMBERSHIP put forth a motion and it was approved can the board then set forth a new motion and procedure to take the place of the membership motion & procedure, thus overriding the will of the membership.

As a follow-up to my inquiry yesterday, to which 2 people kindly responded, which was: The board of our organization is attempting to introduce a new procedure that overrides a long-standing procedure, introduced by the board. Can that be done without it being brought to the membership?

If the MEMBERSHIP put forth a motion and it was approved can the board then set forth a new motion and procedure to take the place of the membership motion & procedure, thus overriding the will of the membership.

No. See RONR, Off. Interp. 2006-12 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

As a follow-up to my inquiry yesterday, to which 2 people kindly responded, which was:

Well, I thought I answered both of these questions yesterday, but I'll take another stab at it. :)

The board of our organization is attempting to introduce a new procedure that overrides a long-standing procedure, introduced by the board. Can that be done without it being brought to the membership?

Yes.

No.

Archived