The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ethics

Guest perturbed

Can a VP Board Member solicit votes for a candidate by asking them to vote for particular incumbents and Candidates? Also, when should all ballots be opened and in whose presence when early voting takes place, and a management company is in charge? How would an oust board member recall voting?

Can a VP Board Member solicit votes for a candidate by asking them to vote for particular incumbents and Candidates?

Assuming this is being done outside the context of a meeting, why not? It's called politics. It could even be properly done during a meeting, as part of the debate on the nominations.

Also, when should all ballots be opened and in whose presence when early voting takes place, and a management company is in charge?

Ideally the ballots are counted during the election meeting in the presence of the members, but it's also permissible for the tellers (the counters) to retreat to a nearby room. The management company is not in charge; the members are in charge.

How would an oust board member recall voting?

He wouldn't.

Can a VP Board Member solicit votes for a candidate by asking them to vote for particular incumbents and Candidates?

Why not? Don't people campaign for other people all the time? It would not be permissible if it interrupted a meeting, of course. And don't forget that you are also free to ask people to vote some other way. It's democracy.

Also, when should all ballots be opened and in whose presence when early voting takes place, and a management company is in charge?

There should be a committee of tellers authorized to open and count the ballots. It's up to the assembly to determine whether they do so at a meeting, or elsewhere, and who may attend. The default is that they would do so at a meeting, but since you apparently don't vote in person all at once, you'll need to figure that out for yourselves.

How would an oust board member recall voting?

I have no idea what you're asking. I suppose a board member who had been ousted would recall the voting process somewhat ruefully.

If you are suggesting that someone would seek to declare the election null and void, you have not yet provided anything that would be sufficient grounds for that.

Not even when they stated negative things about the current board member to achieve a positive vote for a candidate? Also, ballots where opened with the management company prior to the close of the meeting, with no members present.

Not even when they stated negative things about the current board member to achieve a positive vote for a candidate?

Well, it depends on what was said and how it was said.

It's okay to point out that, while John Doe was treasurer, $5000 disappeared from the club's account. It's not okay to call Mr. Doe a thief.

Not even when they stated negative things about the current board member to achieve a positive vote for a candidate? Also, ballots where opened with the management company prior to the close of the meeting, with no members present.

Neither of these factors would invalidate the election.

Well, it depends on what was said and how it was said.

It's okay to point out that, while John Doe was treasurer, $5000 disappeared from the club's account. It's not okay to call Mr. Doe a thief.

From the standpoint of the validity of the election, it doesn't matter what was said, although it might be appropriate to take disciplinary action against the responsible parties.

Neither of these factors would invalidate the election.

From the standpoint of the validity of the election, it doesn't matter what was said, although it might be appropriate to take disciplinary action against the responsible parties.

For instance a Cease and deceased letter from a lawyer? Thanks everyone!

For instance a Cease and deceased letter from a lawyer?

I think you mean "cease and desist," unless this election is even more controversial than I thought. :)

Legal questions are beyond the scope of this forum and should be directed to a lawyer. When I said "disciplinary actions," I was referring to the procedures in RONR, 10th ed., Ch. XX, or a customized disciplinary procedure in the organization's Bylaws.

Archived