The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Power of the Chairperson

Guest Don R.

Our council had a vote at a meeting last night. The motion maker stated numbers concerning salaries that the mover thought was correct. The motion was seconded and passed. However, it was learned after adjournment that the numbers used were incorrect.

My question is this- does the Chairperson have the authority to void the vote since the information that it was based on was incorrect? Or does the Chairperson have the authority to call a special meeting to call for a new vote based on new/correct information?

Our council had a vote at a meeting last night. The motion maker stated numbers concerning salaries that the mover thought was correct. The motion was seconded and passed. However, it was learned after adjournment that the numbers used were incorrect.

My question is this- does the Chairperson have the authority to void the vote since the information that it was based on was incorrect? Or does the Chairperson have the authority to call a special meeting to call for a new vote based on new/correct information?

No. The chair has no power to act alone. Only the body itself, in a legal meeting, can change things.

You do not have to vote on anything with correct information, so the motion is still in effect. If the membership wishes to modify this motion, or just scrap it all together, a member may move to either "Rescind" the vote, or to "Amend Something Previous Adopted". For details of these motions, see RONR p. 293ff.

Archived