The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Legalities on disbanning an Auxiliary

Guest Sam

We have a situation where mostly the same family run the Fire Department and the Auxiliary. We have elections coming up and our bylaws state an inside audit yearly. As the President of Auxiliary, I have been requesting the information since last year. The Chief told the treasurer,(his Mother), we did not need an audit. Therefore, she would not turn over the bank statements and receipts. Again, I am trying to receive the information to do so. My question is: Can the Chief order an Auxiliary to quit, if the elections remove his Mom as treasurer?

Sam

Can the Chief order an Auxiliary to quit, if the elections remove his Mom as treasurer?

I'm afraid you won't find the answer here (or in RONR).

You'll have to look in the bylaws of the fire department (and the auxiliary if it's a separate organization) to see exactly what authority the chief has. It would seem unlikely but if they have the votes on their side then there's not much you can do.

If the department receives any money from the municipality (e.g. from the town), then you might be able to take your questions about an audit there.

We have a situation where mostly the same family run the Fire Department and the Auxiliary. We have elections coming up and our bylaws state an inside audit yearly. As the President of Auxiliary, I have been requesting the information since last year. The Chief told the treasurer,(his Mother), we did not need an audit. Therefore, she would not turn over the bank statements and receipts. Again, I am trying to receive the information to do so.

Fluff, fluff, fluff.

All this has nothing to do with your question.

My question is: Can the Chief order an Auxiliary to quit, if the elections remove his Mom as treasurer?

If you are asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order, then the answer is "No."

No "chief" (whatever that is) holds any such authority, per The Book.

If you are asking a question about your bylaws, then no one can answer that question, except those people who have read the document.

In response to Kim's answers:

It was my understanding to give the back ground information in which the question was coming from. I find it hard to believe you do not know who the "Chief" of the Fire Department is. Thank You for your comment.

Sam, I myslef prefer risking giving a little too much information than not enough. For that matter, from long experience I know that Mr Goldsworthy does too. I'm sure he meant "fluff fluff fluff" in a nice way.

And I'm sure he knows what the chief of a fire department is. His almost disingenuous parenthetical remark simply emphasized that not all fire departments are alike, so there can be no uniform (heh) answer to the question. He might as well have left Mr Mountcastle's answer stand alone, since he added nothing to it except typing.

Which he and I both like, come to think of it.

Sam, I myslef prefer risking giving a little too much information than not enough. For that matter, from long experience I know that Mr Goldsworthy does too. I'm sure he meant "fluff fluff fluff" in a nice way.

And I'm sure he knows what the chief of a fire department is. His almost disingenuous parenthetical remark simply emphasized that not all fire departments are alike, so there can be no uniform (heh) answer to the question. He might as well have left Mr Mountcastle's answer stand alone, since he added nothing to it except typing.

Which he and I both like, come to think of it.

As do I. By way of demonstration:

We all have a fair idea of what a Fire Chief is, but the point is that Fire Chief is not an office mentioned in RONR. It is your bylaws, not RONR, that would tell us the exact role of the Chief, in parliamentary terms.

We might assume that Chief was an exact analog to President, or Chairman, or other presiding officer, but without having read the bylaws, that's just a presumptuous assumption1.

1 ... as Firesign Theater fans will quickly recognize.

Archived